Friday, May 12, 2006

week of merriment part 3, the abbrivated version

Right so, I kind of need to finish my week of merriment series and this is taking forever, so. Here is the fast forward version:

Monday: Rich Quodomine came to town. I haven’t seen Rich in years so it was awesome to hang out. Got to Union Station on time (first time ever I’m on time for anything) only to find out Rich’s train is running an hour late. Woot. Well at least there is some stuff to do at Union Station.. like check out the overpriced touristy stuff. Once Rich got there we made it over to the Phoenix hotel where he is staying. The Phoenix is a pretty neat place for sure. Its best feature is that it has a backdoor that opens up right into the Dubliner, one of my favorite Irish pubs *grins*. Yaneev met up with us, and the festivities started. Guiness of course flowed. Afterwards we decided to re-enact an age old tradition, i.e. stumble out to the street and walk down to the Capitol. In the past, we would go to the Dubliner, get trashed, then walk around the Capitol and the Monuments to sober up, before going home. Those days you could walk all the way up the steps of the Capitol (on the back side away from the Supreme Court) to the glass entry doors of the main rotunda. BTW that is the best spot to watch a sunset in DC. Of course now the stairs are off limits for obvious reasons. Anyways we walked around, goofed off, took a bunch of pix, probably ended up on some government surveillance vids. Yay!

Tuesday: MeetinDC Rawbar night! This place by where I live called Ragtime has a rawbar deal every Tuesday from 4pm to close (or well till they run out). $2.95 for a ¼ lb of shrimp, ½ dozen raw oysters, ½ dozen clams, or ½ dozen mussels. Really good stuff too! So the peeps from meetinDC set up an event there every few Tuesdays, and today was the day. I showed up early to try and grab a big table. I was kind of worried cause they do get busy, and I wasn’t sure they were going to let me have a table for 20, if I’m the only person there. So I get there, and go up to the waitress to ask about a table. She just goes “oh yeah, your that seafood group from last time, wait a second”, and goes to find the manager. Not only do we get the hook up with a big table and good space, but we’re told that next time let them know we’re coming, and they will know to order more seafood. What ensued was a delectable feast of seafood goodies, and yes, yet again they ran out of oysters (cause some people were ordering them by the three dozen.. and no it wasn’t me, I don’t eat raw oysters!). I think I cleared 3lbs of shrimp that night.

Wednesday: time for DUCK! Yup I decided to host my first meetinDC event at the Peking Gourmet Inn, an awesome duck joint in Bailey’s Crossroads. This place has always been good to me, and this night was not an exception! The service was amazing, and the food was just….. oh damn….. more than one person was like “this duck is the best I’ve ever had!!!”. Rich, who managed to get out of work early and join us again, was of the opinion that his whole trip to DC was worth it just for this duck. Yes its that good! FOODGASM.

Thursday: because 6 out of 7 days is just not good enough for me, I decided to join a bunch of people at Shamshiri in Tyson’s for dinner. I love that place too. Come to think about it, I do like a lot of good eateries around here. Hmmm I wonder if that’s why I’m fat? (YES!). And what’s a good cap for a whole week of going out?? ROCKBOTTOM on a Thursday night *grins*!
Friday: sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home